Friday, January 27, 2012

Loaded Potato Balls


Well this may be one of those "concept" recipes that you use mostly for the idea of it... adding your own twist and flavors.  This would be a good use of left over mashed potatoes - mostly as a novelty for the little ones. I'm so much like my mother, in that when I get an idea in my mind, I feel a great urgency to see it play out to fruition. (She calls it "having a bee in her bonnet.")  Anyway, I had a dream about making these the other day, and I needed to clear them out of my system, or some such catharsis.

 Click for Printable Recipe
Ingredients:
  • Left over mashed potatoes if you have them.  They need to be thick and stiff, not watery.
  • I had none, so I used 4 russet potatoes....and wow!  That is a LOT!
  • I also used 3 Tbsp butter, a splash of milk (maybe 1/2 cup), salt and pepper
  • Cheddar/mozzarella blend string cheese
  • 1 small bag of real bacon bits 
    • feel free to used real bacon or even crumbled turkey bacon, but I wanted to make this as easy as possible.
  • Chopped chives
  • Panko bread crumbs - they are much lighter and crunchier than regular bread crumbs
  • Canola oil for frying
  • Whatever dipping sauce you want (sour cream, salsa, salsa verde, maybe even ranch dressing)

Step-by-Step:
You can skip half of this whole recipe if you have left over mashed potatoes!
 
To make the mashed potatoes, I peeled and cut the potatoes into medium chunks and boiled in salted water until fork tender. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.

While potatoes are cooking, Lily got the cheese ready for me.  I used a cheddar/mozzarella blend string cheese because I knew it would have a good "melting" factor..and I wanted something that they could easily help me with.

I chose the bagged "real bacon bits" because after work today, I just wanted fast and easy. Besides, this is much less mess and time than making your own sometimes.

Drain the fork-tender potatoes, then return them to the pot.
Add butter, milk, salt, pepper, chives, and bacon to the potatoes and whip them up by hand or with a hand mixer until smooth.
Add butter and milk.
 Add salt and pepper.

Blend.
Add the bacon bits.
Add some chopped chives.

I added an egg to bind everything together.
  • Allow the potatoes to cool.  Hot potatoes will stick to your hands and make a big mess.  The cool ones like to stick together better.
  • Roll the potatoes into balls.
 



Place a piece of cheese inside a depression in the potato balls and reform the ball around the cheese.
Roll the potato balls in Panko bread crumbs.
Fry for about a minute or until golden in oil (about 375 degrees F). Sprinkle with salt immediately when you get them out of the oil.

Serve hot (while the cheese is all melty).


I did try putting these into the oven to bake as an alternative to frying.  I was MUCH less happy with the result in the oven.  They seemed rather anemic compared to the crunchy, golden ones that had been fried.

You could definitely do these ahead of time, store in the fridge, and fry just before serving.

Try different themes.  For example, for a Mexican theme, consider adding cumin to the potatoes and chilled, taco flavored ground beef inside.

I hope you enjoyed this simple and delicious recipe!
There are hundreds more in my Recipe Index, just waiting to be chosen and cooked!  You can also visit my Film strips for pinning page, to see whole recipes at a glance, and to click-and-go right to the recipe.

The Menu Musings cookbook is sure to be a hit at your house, and will make great gifts!  For more information, here is a link!
Order your copy of the Menu Musings Cookbook! 
Connect with me.    
If you are new to MenuMusings, click here to subscribe so you won't miss a thing!  I'll send you notifications of new posts to help you avoid that proverbial cooking rut.  You can also follow me on Pinterest and on the MenuMusings facebook page.

Also, Please be sure to visit my YouTube Channel for short video tutorials on selected videos.  Watch me explain the steps of the recipes in just a few minutes!  Just one more way that I'm giving you the tools to get in that kitchen!!! Aren't you curious?  Click and see how many there are!  :)

Here's just one example - Fire Roasted Corn Guacamole!  YUM!!



Here are some bonus recipes for you!
Happy Hour Pizza Rolls 

Funky Monkey Morning Smoothies 

Crock Pot Pork Chops 

Pizza Poppin Muffins 

One Pot Skillet Lasagna 

Pickle Brined Fried Chicken 

Written Method:
You can skip half of this whole recipe if you have left over mashed potatoes!   To make the mashed potatoes, I peeled and cut the potatoes into medium chunks and boiled in salted water until fork tender.  Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.

While potatoes are cooking, get the cheese ready.  I used a cheddar/mozzarella blend string cheese because I knew it would have a good "melting" factor.  I chose the bagged "real bacon bits" because after work today, I just wanted fast and easy. Besides, this is much less mess and time than making your own sometimes.

Drain the fork-tender potatoes, then return them to the pot.  Add butter, milk, salt, pepper, chives, and bacon to the potatoes and whip them up by hand or with a hand mixer until smooth. Add butter and milk.  Add salt and pepper.  Blend.  Add the bacon bits.  Add some chopped chives.  I added an egg to bind everything together.

Allow the potatoes to cool.  Hot potatoes will stick to your hands and make a big mess.  The cool ones like to stick together better.  Roll the potatoes into balls.   Place a piece of cheese inside a depression in the potato balls and reform the ball around the cheese. Roll the potato balls in Panko bread crumbs.  Fry for about a minute or until golden in oil (about 375 degrees F). Sprinkle with salt immediately when you get them out of the oil.  Serve hot (while the cheese is all melty).

7 comments:

  1. I once ate something similar to this in the Netherlands! My friend and I ordered the only appetizer on the menu without an English translation of the name, so we'd get a surprise. They were delicious. They were stuffed with sauerkraut and some sort of meat, maybe bacon, and there was a seasoned mayo dipping sauce. You brought back memories :) (And your photography is gorgeous! I found one of your recipes through Pinterest, and I'm enjoying browsing the rest.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kel... please feel free to keep browsing!! Always fun to have new readers! :-)

      Delete
  2. This looks so good!! I can't wait to try and make these!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renae - just remember.. Your potatoes need to be really stiff so they will hold together. :)

      Delete
  3. oh my goodness I MUST try these!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried making them but as i fried them the potatoes split from itself and was no longer a ball! Any help ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aliaa - I would recommend a very stiff potato mixture, and try refrigerating them before frying. Hope that helps!
      Julie

      Delete

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest