Sunday, September 4, 2011

New Orleans Praline Brownies


I have to give props to Betty Crocker for this recipe.  But OH MY GOD these are fabulous!!  An ooey gooey fuggy pecan brownie with a toasted pecan praline frosting.  Every time I've made these to bring to a function, nothing comes back home except an empty plate.

Click here for Printable Recipe 

Ingredients: 
Brownies:
  • 1 box fudge brownie mix
  • water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on brownie box 
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans  
Praline Frosting:
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 6 Tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Method:
Heat oven to  350 degrees.  Spray bottom of 9"x13" pan with cooking spray.


Make brownies as directed on box for fudgy brownies (adding water, oil, and eggs).

Stir in 1/2 cup pecans.
Bake as directed then cool for about an hour until completely cool.

 
Topping:
In a small-medium sized saucepan, mix whipping cream, butter and brown sugar.
6 Tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently.
Boil and stir 1 - 2 minutes.
Remove from heat, then stir in toasted pecans, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
Toasted pecans
Clear Mexican vanilla
Powdered sugar
Cool 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Spread frosting over the cooled pan of brownies.
 
Let stand for about 45 minutes or until frosting is set before cutting.
Tip - Cut into bars about 45 minutes after spreading frosting over the brownies. This will allow you to cut the brownies while the frosting is still just slightly warm and will minimize any cracks in the frosting.  If you let the frosting cool completely, the praline will break up. 
Needs a glass of milk!

Method:
Heat oven to  350 degrees.  Spray bottom of 9"x13" pan with cooking spray.  Make brownies as directed on box for fudgy brownies (adding water, oil, and eggs).  Stir in 1/2 cup pecans.  Bake as directed then cool for about an hour until completely cool.

Topping:
In a small-medium sized saucepan, mix whipping cream, butter and brown sugar. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently.  Boil and stir 1 - 2 minutes.  Remove from heat, then stir in toasted pecans, powdered sugar, and vanilla.  Cool 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Spread frosting over the cooled pan of brownies.  Let stand for about 45 minutes or until frosting is set before cutting.

Tip - Cut into bars about 45 minutes after spreading frosting over the brownies. This will allow you to cut the brownies while the frosting is still just slightly warm and will minimize any cracks in the frosting.  If you let the frosting cool completely, the praline will break up.

Click here to Subscribe to MenuMusings so you won't miss a thing!

Order the Menu Musings Cookbook!
menumusings.com
 
Here are a few more goodies to pique your interest:
Fireworks Roast (aka Beef Pot Roast)
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork) Tacos
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos_menumusings.com
Indian Chicken Korma
Indian Chicken Korma_menumusings.com
Mahogany Glazed Chicken
Oreo Heath Bar Cake
 
Mini Sausage Pancake Muffins
Mini Sausage Pancake Muffins_menumusings.com
Or to see what else I have up my sleeve, click here to visit my Recipe Index!

21 comments:

  1. these look delicious ! I spotted your deep fried asparagus on pinterest earlier today and have been looking through your blog ... I might be here a while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley - You're on to me! You "being there a while" is exactly what I want! :)
      Julie

      Delete
  2. In the process of making these now! Thanks pinterest! Looks super delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made these and they are so yummy. TY Julie and Pintrest. Can't wait for hubby to come home and have one after dinner, know he will love them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to make these and freeze them. Would they freeze well or do you not recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see any reason why you couldn't freeze them. Just make sure you cut them while the praline topping is still a bit soft so they won't crack.

      Delete
    2. dental floss may also work for clean cutting!

      Delete
  5. Just put the frosting on! My house smells so good, I hope hubby can wait before diving into them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just discovered your blog through Pinterest and I can feel the pounds I'm going to gain. I can't wait to try the Tomato Basil Chicken. I look forward to your emails. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the tomato basil chicken is very fresh tasting..would be hard to go back to sauce in a jar!

      Delete
  7. Seriously drooling over these right now :O

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made these yesterday and they were outstanding. Thank you for the recipe Julie! I posted a write up over at my blog today. Thanks again !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there a placve to subscribe to receive an email when you post something new on your blog?

    Thank you,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. There is small box on the right side of the blog that says "subscribe here."

      It will sign you up on Constant Contact. When I make a new post, I do a blast email from there. It goes out to everyone on my Constant Contact list.

      Thanks,
      Julie

      Delete
  10. My mouth is watering and I am trying so hard to stay away from concentrated sweets, but this is SO tempting! I am going to make it for a 4th of July treat (have an excuse to make it) and try not to eat them before everyone else does! I love pralines and with chocolate also how can you lose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How many brownies does this recipe make, please? They look divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry Bonnie, your comment was stuck in my spam folder. This recipe will make 15 very generous brownies in a 9x13" pan. But they are quite rich, so you could definitely get more if you cut them smaller.

      Delete
  12. Could you add coconut to the praline topping? I make wonderful coconut pralines for Christmas every year and am wondering if there would be a way to incorporate coconut into this praline topping?

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are absolutely scrumptious and I have made them twice...in one week! My friends and family love them. I had to chuckle at the comment that asked about freezing these brownies. The only way I could have any of these to freeze is if I put them in the freezer straight out of the oven and frosted them much later! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... I've never had any left to freeze, either. :)

      Delete

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest